- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 60 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- November 21, 2019
Keep it saucy in the bedroom and keep it extra saucy with this Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe.
Imagine the aroma of the spaghetti’s red sauce with chunks of tomatoes, paired with the juicy goodness of meat, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, butter, and Parmegiano-Reggiano as meatballs. We can already smell the ultimate comfort food right on our big bowls. This recipe is so easy that you can do it the way you like – get the sauce with extra chunks of tomatoes, or you could add a spicy kick to your meatballs.
Before we get started, did you know that Italian immigrants originally brought spaghetti and meatballs to American soil? Yep! Italians from Sicily, Calabria, Campania, and Abruzzi brought in the comfort food we all love.
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and stir in ice to stop the cooking.
- 2. In a large bowl, stir in ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, egg, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix well and roll approximately 16 balls.
- 3. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer meatballs onto a plate.
- 4. Using the same pot, cook onions until caramelised. Add crushed tomatoes and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- 5. Return meatballs to pot and cover. Simmer until sauce has thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 6. Serve pasta with a healthy scoop of meatballs and sauce. Top off with Parmesan before serving.